Tag Archive for tank build

30 Gallon Tank, Part 4, Moss

The moss for this tank arrived today! I’m going to wait until the plants arrive to place any of it. The moss came from www.bluepumilio.com. It’s tropical sheet moss, fern moss, and sphagnum moss.

Also, I think I’m going to change the water feature. It’s too deep. I’m going to try filling it in a bit and see if it’ll still flow ok.

30 Gallon Tank, Part 3

Made some more progress. I may make some changes, but it’s pretty much done except the plants. I’m still hoping to find Goodyera pusilla for this tank, but I ordered almost all of the plants I wanted yesterday, so I’ll be able to start planting in the near future.





 

The ferns are just temporarily placed for now. I haven’t decided if I’m going to use them in this tank since they’ll get larger than I want. I’m really looking forward to getting the plants!

30 Gallon Tank, Part 2

Finally made some more progress. I’m really pleased with how the roots turned out. When I started on them, I was expecting it to be a disaster, but after adding silicone and peat moss, I’m really happy with them!

I need to set up better lighting to get rid of the glare, but you get the idea.

tank for dart frogs

I used the roots to form more support for the pots. All the roots are tacked down with pins while the silicone dries. I might need to use something more to keep the roots in place.

vivshots3

I put silicone and peat moss on the pots as well. This will look a lot better. It didn’t add any extra time, since I had already planned on doing all this with the roots, and it’ll make the pots blend into the background.

pot dart frog tank

Almost ready for plants! I still need to decide what other plants to buy. That’s probably the hardest part.

30 Gallon Tank, Part 1

I haven’t had frogs in a while. I recently started collecting plants again, and one thing kinda leads to the other. I started a 30 gallon viv to house some of my plants in, but it’s going to eventually have frogs as well.

Here’s how far I’ve gotten so far. The background is made out of sheets of styrofoam. Great Stuff™ expanding foam holds it together and forms the extra details. I cut out holes to put pots in for some of the plants that will go in this tank.

After the Great Stuff™ dried, I used a soldering iron to melt the styrofoam a little. This smooths and hardens the surface.

There will be a waterfall coming down between the two “roots”, and this is the water intake.

A view from above, where the little pond will be.

Crappy picture after applying most of the background. I used dry peat moss and brown silicone.

This gives you an idea of the depth.

Background is dry, and most of the pots are replaced.

I can hardly wait to have moss growing all over this.

I haven’t decided for sure which pots to use. These are the two options I have. The black ones fit the holes better, but the brown ones I think would blend in better. I still have time to decide.

I still have more to do on the background. I’m planning on making vines out of the rope to give the background more dimension, and maybe to help hold the pots in place. I still need to figure out lighting, but I’m happy with how the background is going.